Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Misc Ramblings on an Icy Day....

OK, I'll admit it; I'm avoiding grading the stack of essays for my Advanced Placement World History class. Even though, nation-building and the Capitol One barbarians are interesting; 40 papers about the Middle Ages is mind-numbing!

So, is HP the current evil empire or What? Almost as bad as the Wankees or anything new york for that matter. They've even invaded one of my favorite TV channels (HGTV) with that insipid "Selling New York" show; I change that channel almost as fast as I do when the "UFO/Aliens taught us everything", I've got bad "Babylon 5" hair guy on History Channel comes on. They're everywhere (HP that is, not the Aliens, but who knows); the stuff is over-priced and just superficially looks good. If I were in the market for a new computer, I'd sooner buy a Dell or Acer, but really, Asus. Is the G73 "Stealth" gaming laptop not the coolest thing you ever saw other than any overpriced Apple product? And they sell for around a $1000!
If I wasn't morally opposed to buying new computers (and rich), I'd run out and buy this thing right now. OK, I wouldn't run anywhere since I'd buy it online, but you guys know what I mean. I understand some folks probably aren't as impressed with the looks as I am since it basically looks like what a gaming ThinkPad would be, right down to the rubberized finish from the high end TPs like my X300.
And these guys are on a roll; don't believe me? Read some reviews about the G73, then go down to Best Buy (don't buy anything from them, but go down there) and look at it. Better yet, feel it. I must say that I hate the "chiclet" style keys (basically, not as bad as new york, maybe l.a.), but I could live with it.

Overall though, I'm doing very well living here on the "trailing edge" of technology. My literally blazing fast desktop is running on a Core 2 Duo processor with 2 5 year old LCD monitors. I've got a 2+ year old laptop that's just amazing and my kids on on 5-8 year old computers. I have a very nice old (D70s) Nikon DSLR that does everything I need it to do (except turn off) which costs less than $250, plus a Nikon Coolpix 995 that was $15 on Craig's List. I'm about to replace my son's 5/6 year old computer with something even older, but does what he wants it for even better.

I love technology, but have decided that paying retail price for the honor of owning "new" is crazy and just plain expensive!

2 comments:

  1. I love technology, too, but I just cannot *afford* to be an early-adopter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my stand that being an "early adopter" just means that you have more money than sense! There's just no need for it. The only people who NEED to be on the "bleeding edge" are high end gamers. And they understand that going in, that its their thing (addiction- whatever you want to call it) and they are willing to pay the price. Its like people who like to gamble. They budget for it and make it a part of their financial reality.

    What I don't get are the people who are those things, and buy things because they are the "latest and greatest", but then do noting but email and surf the internet on their $3K laptop!?!

    ReplyDelete