Thursday, November 7, 2013

Time to Move On: I Was Wrong


 
Not too long ago, I scored one of these: a Panasonic GF-1, although mine has the 14-42mm kit zoom lens vs. this 20mm f/2.0 pancake. I later picked up the VF-1 electronic viewfinder, after learning the hard way that outside shooting in full-sun was pretty difficult just using the LCD. I love this picture of it with the Minolta CLE which I would argue is it's spiritual forerunner. Japanese company known for cutting edge electronics, teaming up with revered German lens (and camera) maker to create a hybrid camera which was more then either could accomplish alone......2 1/2 decades apart.
Turns out that I'm not terribly comfortable using it. Love it's compactness, however, for me to be even somewhat comfortable, I have to have the VF-1 attached. This really blunts it's most compelling attribute in my world.....the size and ease of carry. I find that I'm constantly snagging that finder on things. Maybe I'd feel differently if I already owned the 20mm pancake lens and would have another reason to try and justify keeping it. But that's another $300-350, when combined with the $175 that I already have in it; it's just way more than I want to have invested in a "sometimes" camera. And now that, I've got the CoolPix 8400 that my brother sent me, I just don't find myself turning to this camera very often if at all. Yes, I know that those are very different cameras, but for me, they fill a similar role. 
Then there's this guy. It's smaller and lighter than my D300, and I've found, that for what I use this camera for; the 6Mp sensor is just fine. However, it's just not enough smaller and lighter than the D300 to make it compelling enough to keep. Plus, I've found that, other than the 28-80mm that I keep on it, I don't have, and aren't contemplating buying any more of the old "screw-drive" auto-focus lenses that allowed the D50 to have an advantage over the D40. It also turns out that the camera's commonallity of battery with the D300 is also something I never use either. The fact is: I was wrong. Some of you are now stunned, right? But hey, you live and learn. Well; now what? I'm going to say that I've got about $175 tied up in the GF-1 and conservatively, another $125 tied up in the D50. I'm almost 100% certain that I can get at least the $400 selling these two camera.
This is kind of like waving a red flag in front of the proverbial bull! Ouch! What can a Frugal Propellerhead do with a potential $400!?!
This is a little like asking Michael Jordan, what he'd like to do with a basketball in his hands! The possibilities are endless. He famously once told an interviewer that when he has the ball, "you are at my mercy". That's what I think of eBay or Craiglist when I have a mission and money to accomplish it!
So, we'll start at the beginning. This is the starting point; my D300, with MB-D10 battery pack, and Nikkor AF-S 18-200 VR lens attached. What I'm looking for is a counterpoint of this beast. Something significantly smaller and lighter. It doesn't need to be compact enough to be "pocket able", but I'm going to want it to take the same lenses and flashes that I already use. So in other words.....a Nikon. 
Now, wait-a-minute! That's not a Nikon! No it's not. In a perfect world, that would be a Nikon instead of the Olympus E-420 with the Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 pancake attached (50mm eq.). But no, there's never been anything in the Nikon inventory of this size.
What....The Enemy!?! I wish! Let me just say that I love the form-factor of the new Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (100D in other countries). And I'm damn lucky that Nikon didn't do this! 'Cus it's brand new and the price is in excess of $500 dollars without a lens! The fact is; I don't want to spend anywhere near this kind of money for a secondary camera/backup. I am after all, frugal. However, if you are in the market for an entry-level DSLR, I'd highly recommend looking at this thing at the big-box stores and reading some reviews. It's very well thought out, the size is great (especially for those with little hands), and the price it pretty darned good....for those who are into buying new, that is. Why not the E-420, which by the way, can be had for $200-250 used on a regular basis? Dead mount, that's why! When the 4/3rds consortium moved over to the Micro version of the mount, it orphaned the old mount, plus all the lenses and cameras along with it. Does this mean that they are useless? Absolutely not! Just understand that they aren't making anything new for them so they aren't a very good investment. However, if you are already into this system, I'd jump all over the good deals that I see cropping up everywhere for these cameras and lens. If instance, for my friend Rich who already has Olympus 4/3rd gear, a cheap E-410/420 would be a great buy. I've seen 4/3rds lenses in pawn shops for less than $50 and E4/5/6x0 camera on Craigslist for less than $150. This is excellent equipment and a great deal right now. Just not for me since I'm pretty much married to with Nikon. 
Which leaves me with this guy. The D40. Yup, I had considered it and rejected it back when I was looking for a backup/secondary camera. I originally went with the D50 because it was not only smaller and lighter than my D300, but could use the same battery (which has never come into play). It also was a more similar form-factor with a secondary LCD info panel next to the penta-prism just like the D300 as well as other controls in similar locations. And I believe that's why Nikon went with the D40 design to replace the D50. When you keep everything very similar, by default you also limit the new design in many ways as well. Duh! Therefore, really, other than weight, the D50 didn't give me nearly as many advantages over the D300 as I would have liked so as to fully be an alternative! The very reasons that led me to choose the D50 over the D40 are the reasons that it failed in it's mission. But why not the higher pixeled D40x and D60 built on this chassis? Ahh; that's fodder for another post.

Yup, I feel pretty dumb about it, but I don't feel too bad. I can fix this. I should be able to sell the out-going cameras for around $400 and able to snag a functioning D40 for between $100 and $150. So, in the end, I'll probably do better than break even....plus I'll have had the fun of the hunt!




 


No comments:

Post a Comment