Friday, November 1, 2013

More Pancakes Please

I hate addictions, I really do! So, repeat after me....."My name is XXXX, and I'm an addict....." For one thing, I've got NAS, no not network attached storage, although, come to think of it, I've got that too. NO! I'm referring to that weird little ailment known as "Nikon Acquisition Syndrome".....Yeah, that.....but really a sub-category of it having to do with "pancake" lenses. That's right, pancake lenses! The image is oh-so appropriate with the white gloves holding it like it's some sort of dangerous substance under clinical study!
Here, it's depicted in it's original role attached to a 60's Nikon F, with the Photomic TN head on it. Oh, I'd love to have one of those too, but that's another story. Funny looking little thing isn't it? It's official name is the 45mm f/2.8 GN Nikkor, with the GN standing for Guide Number which was used as a coupling mechanism allowing for automatic diaphragm control in flash photography when used with compatible Nikon Speedlight units. It was small and light at 3/4" (18mm) and 5.3oz. Although I haven't been able to find out exactly, this lens is thought to be the least expensive Nikkor available in it's day. As well it should be since it's really a very simple Tessar formula of 4 elements in 3 groups.
During the later part of the 70's and early 80's, you could pick up this lens for a song, but all of a sudden, the pancake is back with a vengence! Today, all manner of small/little lenses are dubbed or claim to be the second coming of these interesting little lenses. Consequently, the price of the originals have skyrocketed despite the fact that they aren't really very useable on modern cameras. In fact, it's not really a very good idea to try and mount them (without modification) least you damage your camera! Things really got heated up when Nikon released an updated version (although optically the same) in 2001, complete with electronic contacts made to complement the FM3A. When these ended production at 25,000 (silver) and 12,000 (black), the collectors' market went crazy, driving the prices of these very useable lenses into the ridiculous (and seldom use) range. They've subsequently come down, but they aren't in the Frugal Propellerhead's radar yet. That doesn't mean, I don't want one. Look at it on the D200. That virtually turns this thing into a pocket camera.....for very big pockets, that is.
But, price and availability isn't really the issue. As you guys know, I shoot DX sensor'd Nikons. A 45mm lens pretty much works out to be a 68mm or so eq. in 35mm terms. That's not exactly ideal for a "walk-around" camera. What I need is something that's just on the wide-side of normal. Something in the 35-40mm range. I know some folks like to go wider for that, but I like things a little tighter. And amazingly, they're on the market today! Here is the Voigtlander SL 28mm, f/2.8 which would translate to something like a 42mm on my APS-C cameras. It's manual focus, but that's OK. Remember I'm an old guy, so I focused myself for decades before I bought my first autofocus DSLR in 2009. I like this lens. It's made by Cosina, which reputedly made the "P" or latter 45mm Nikkor for Nikon back in 2001, and is now the Japanese Zeiss contractor, so yeah, they've got the "chops". They've also bought the rights to use the venerable Voigtlander name to market their own line of high-end manual focus optics. But you know what? I don't have $450-500 burning a hole in my pocket right now! So, back to the drawing boards.
And on that drawing board is this. I know, I know. The original Nikkor 45mm was only 3/4" deep, about 18mm, and the newer "P" lens was 17mm....true pancakes. This......is a whopping 24mm! But such is life. I'm sure the French have a pithier saying, but I'm a barely adequate speller in English, much less in French! So, I'm on the prowl again; this time, for a Nikon 28mm f/2.8 "E" Series lens. I've set my limit at around $50, so after I buy a Dandelion chip for it, for around $30, my plan is to be all-in at not much more than $75. 
The pay-off? Here's an image of a D40 with an early version of the "E" lens mounted. Early versions were all back with the yucky looking "big-block" focusing grip. It's my intention to find the later version with the silver ring that looks like a proper Nikon lens. Yeah, it's something like 7mm longer than a "real" pancakes, and about 4 or 5mm longer than the Voigtlander, but the thing is still very compact and light. 
I know that a true pancakes like this Voigtlander 40mm, f/2.0 looks much cooler, but for a $400 dollar differential, I'm going to live with it!



No comments:

Post a Comment