Friday, April 22, 2016

HTPC Build-Log: Part 3..... It's been a good week!

It's been a good week......, no check that; it's been a GREAT week..... in the HTPC world that is! In the last build-log, I had said that the ID Cooling coolers were delivered, but there were other issues that delayed the update of my HTPC fleet. Anyway; "we have overcome"!
I got momentum when the delayed conversion of our bedroom HTPC went off without a hitch. In fact, the speed and ease of which this theoretically "out of date" A75/A6-3600 motherboard/CPU combo went about it's tasks was a surprise. My pride would like to attribute this to me applying these older (read cheaper) components to jobs that it does particularly well. I may be right, or I might be just lucky; who knows, who cares? The fact is that this combination of pretty prosaic parts are an excellent match for it's intended job of a HTPC. If you haven't been keeping score, here it is:
  • $48 - ASRock A75m-ITX, AMD A6-3600 MB/APU combo (eBay)
  • $12 - ID Cooling DK-03, Heatsink/120mm fan (Amazon)
  • $0 - Silverstone SG08Lite case (old machine)
  • $0 - Seasonic 500w PSU (old machine)
  • $0 - Intel 80Gb SSD, Hitachi 500Gb HDD, Slot-loading DVD-RW (old machine)
  • $60 - Total 
 
No; you are not looking at the inside of the SG-08. This is in fact, the inside of a Silverstone SG-05. ??? So, after the sucess of the "Viking" HTPC, I moved right on to the replacement to "Bronco" machine that fulfills the HTPC role in the downstairs den. Since it was a low-powered "thin" PC it uses a "wide-voltage" external power supply. The issue I had on Sunday was that it used a different adapter than what I was using. In the ensuing 2 days, I realized that there were several random adapters from dead laptops that I've accumulated. In the pile, I found HP one that worked. After a quick OS load-up; this machine was ready as well! Again I was a little surprised by the speed of this machine! At least this board should be fast, since it's LGA-1150 of the "Broadwell" generation. Anything else left to do on this?
  • $39.68 - Gigabyte GA-B75TN motherboard (eBay)
  • $34.28 - Intel Pentium 2030T CPU (eBay)
  • $19.99 - Silverstone NT-07 HSF (Amazon)
  • $12.54 - 4Gb DDR3 SO-DIMM (eBay)
  • $0 - Other 4Gb DDR3 SO-DIMM (spare parts box)
  • $0 - Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb SSD (spare parts box)
  • $0 - Power adapter (closet of doom)
  • $106.49 - Total
Well.... yes. The SG05 is a temporary home. My ultimate evil plan is to pick up a Silverstone PT13. The reason is obvious: it's so small and cool! What about the 3rd HTPC?
I get to do this all day Saturday, and I do mean all day. I'm an academic competition coach and sponsor at school. While my debaters fell just short of advancing to state level competition, my top Social Studies kid is an alternate to the Regional Competition this year. So I get to drive him and all the others from both high schools in our district, 2 and a half hours East and South into the heart of the Piney Wood to Stephen F. Austin University at Nacogadoches. In order to get there on time, we'll be leaving at 5am, putting me getting up at 4am since I have to get the bus. We'll finish around 4pm. I'll be getting home somewhere around 9pm! Therefore, despite the arrival of the 8-pin EPS adapter, there'll be no finishing the HTPC in the main A/V system till Sunday. Here are the numbers for the last machine.
  • $30.25 - Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-HD2 motherboard (eBay)
  • $66.35 - AMD A8-7600 APU (eBay)
  • $40 - Corsail Vengeance Pro 8Gb DDR3/1866 RAM (eBay)
  • $5.81 - Creative Labs Soundblaster Live Soundcard (eBay)
  • $0 - Ahanix D-Vine5 case (old machine)
  • $0 - Intel 120Gb SSD (parts box)
  • $0 - Hitachi DeskStar 500Gb HDD, Sony Blu-Ray optical drive (old machine)
  • $106.35 - Total    
All of these totals include not only the cost of parts, but also the shipping costs as well, so I figure the grand total of $272.84 is pretty OK. That's about $90 per on 3 pretty up-to-date machines that do their jobs well. They are going to allow me to "cut the cord". The end of Netflix, and the end of Cable TV service. Those 2 things by themselves come to something like $80-90 per month! That puts this upgrade to paying off in 3 months! Do I wish, I was already done after all the planning and waiting? Sure I am, but I'm OK with the progress so far. I can see the end of the road from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment