Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Beep Beep!!!

Let me just start by saying, that I'm not easily impressed....especially where computers are concerned. I'm just a believer in that not only do people not NEED the technology on offer in the current generation, but it's just a flat-out waste of money! 
If you've been following along recently, you know that I've been helping a co-worker's son gather parts to build a "modest" gaming computer. I used quotes for modest because, with the judicious use of his $600 and some luck, I was able to score some pretty recent pieces....most notably an Asus P8Z77 motherboard, a Core i5-2500K cpu, and 8Gb of Corsair Vengence RAM. Well; Sunday was build-day. So we put this thing together, and go it to boot. Last night, I put the basic load of Window 7 OS on along with it's drivers. In the process, I loaded and reloaded a number of things. 
Holy Crap! This thing is fast! I thought my computer was fast, but this thing is in another league. Everything is instantaneous. Computer loads are routinely a poke-in-the-eye. Mostly that's due to the repeated reboots. The norm is where you click on "restart", then go on to do something else for a few minutes while the machine does it's thing. There's just none of that, nada, zero. You hit restart, look away, and when you look back, it's already back up. Yeah, I know, when I get more stuff on it and it's anti-virus loaded, then it'll be slower, but still.... I probably load OS on the average of about 1 computer per week. That's roughly 50 machines in a year. Everything from XP to WHS, to Vista and Windows 7. I've just never seen anything resembling this kind of speed. 
You can imagine that I'm now a little wired waiting for my RMA'd Z77 motherboard to come back from Gigabyte. The rebuild of Blackbird V is about to kick into high gear!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment