Saturday, July 7, 2012

"Milk Run" to "Pawn Star": Mac Style

Here's a quick little post that really illustrates how great computer deals can be found anywhere. Yesterday, I had just delivered a laptop rebuild for a client that had dropped (while on) his Dell D620 and cracked the base, killed the fan and hard drive. So it was largely a "labor" job. I had a replacement hard drive on hand, so I just had to buy a base and fan. 

So the upshot of it was that I had $115 burning a hole in my pocket and a task to buy milk........ "What the H*#@*#L!!!".....milk? We routinely go to Braum's for milk, which is not only cheaper, but don't feed their herd hormones to up production, plus the kids are in favor of the ice cream that they have there. But we don't have a Braum's, so it involves going to a neighboring town which has a pawn shop that I like nose around at (although I've never bought anything there). On the way out, I spotted a gleaming while Mac. I saw that it was marked at a surprising $250. So on a lark, I asked to see it, since even older iBooks (G4) typically sell between $350 and $450. Much to my surprise, it wasn't an iBook, but a MacBook! Now my knowledge of the various Mac models is pretty general and not anywhere near that of PCs, so I tried to call my Mac-loving/Mac-user brother-in-law, but he didn't answer. I knew enough to suspect that it was pretty new and look up the "About the Mac" utility and did the "oh-so-modern" thing of snapping a picture with my phone. Later after I left when my brother-in-law called me back, he told me that the serial number should be in the pic that I took and if I plugged it into the right place on the Apple support site, it would tell me what that machine was. 

It turned out to be a 2 year old, "Late 2010" MacBook! Although the "plain-Jane" version, the typical worth seems to be currently somewhere between $750 and $900! You want to bet that I scrounged up every nickel I had and ran right back there and bought it!?! I'll probably have to spend $30 and buy disks to do a complete reload, but GOOD GRIEF! I should be able to easily double my investment on this thing!

I feel like I've just been in an episode of "PAWN STARS"; the East Texas spin-off that is!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment